The limestone springhouse covers a flowing spring. Located about equidistant from the First Hermitage and Hermitage Mansion, the spring supplied the Jackson’s with water and kept food cool. Exterior viewing only.
This 3/4 mile loop trail takes visitors past two flowing springs, the cotton gin field, and the Field Quarter archaeological site, the location of four brick duplex slave dwellings which housed about 80 people.
Log Farm House
The Jackson family lived in a two-story log farmhouse when General Jackson led the victorious American troops at the Battle of New Orleans in 1815. Late the farmhouse and nearby kitchen were reconfigured to house some of the enslaved workers.
Alfred's cabin was the home of Alfred Jackson, an enslaved and later free man who lived at The Hermitage all of his life until he died in 1901. The cabin is the only slave dwelling still standing in the mansion backyard.
A small plot of cotton shows visitors Andrew Jackson's cash crop. The cotton grows slowly over the summer until bolls form in the early fall. As the weather cools, the bolls burst open revealing the cotton fiber within.
Pick up your free audio tour of the Hermitage grounds and outbuildings and watch the Hermitage introductory film in the Andrew Jackson Visitor Center.
Visit our museum to learn more about "The Hermitage: Frontier Farm to American Landmark." Here you can examine Jackson possessions up close and see some of our remarkable archaeological finds.
Tour the Hermitage mansion with our costumed interpreters to learn about America’s pivotal Jacksonian Era and the Jackson family. Nearly all of the furnishings are the Jackson family's original possessions.
Visit our unique Museum Store for that special gift, memento, or book. The store also sells snack items, souvenirs, and fun T-shirts.
Andrew & Rachel's Tomb
Andrew and Rachel Jackson's tomb, a Greek Revival temple-like structure, sits in the corner of the garden, a location Jackson selected because of Rachel's love of flowers. A family burial ground and the grave of a former slave, Alfred Jackson, are nearby.
Tulip Grove, the 1836 home of Jackson's ward and private secretary Andrew Jackson Donelson, is one of the finest Greek Revival buildings in Tennessee.
The one-acre formal garden is planted with roses, irises, peonies, crepe myrtles, and other annuals and perennials available in the first half of the nineteenth century.
In 1823, Andrew Jackson donated the land, part of the funds, and the labor of his slaves to build this simple church. The Donelson Family Cemetery is located nearby. Exterior Viewing Only
Tennessee Confederate Soldiers' Cemetery
In 1890, the State of Tennessee established a home for indigent and infirm Confederate Veterans on the Hermitage farm. Over 500 of those veterans are buried at the Tennessee Confederate Soldiers' Home Cemetery located near the Hermitage Church.
Enslaved Memorial, Our Peace
The Enslaved Memorial, Our Peace: Follow the Drinking Gourd, is located near the Hermitage Church and marks the final resting place of 60 enslaved individuals from a nearby plantation. Our Peace provides a place for everyone to reflect upon the continuing legacy of slavery.
Please contact our education department at (615) 889-2941 ext 242 for program information.